A.A.S in Respiratory Therapy
(66 Credits) (Program Length: 75 Weeks/Total Clock Hours: 1785)
As one of the top respiratory therapy schools in NYC, Mandl College works to meet the needs of our nation’s dynamic, fast-paced health care field. This industry is evolving rapidly and demands well-trained, licensed respiratory therapists and respiratory therapy technicians to staff hospitals, sleep labs and other health-related facilities.
The Associate in Applied Science in Respiratory Therapy program introduces students to the knowledge and skills necessary to obtain entry-level positions as respiratory therapists/respiratory therapy technicians. Students attending our premier NYC respiratory therapist school work under the medical direction of doctors or licensed respiratory therapists. In this program, students learn how to evaluate and treat cardiopulmonary (heart and lung) health issues. They also learn how to teach patients and their families about treatment and maintenance of pulmonary health problems, including the use of respiratory therapy equipment and medications.
This is an excellent career choice for a number of reasons:
- Job Stability: Employment of respiratory therapists is expected to grow by 28 percent from 2010 to 2020.
- Be Challenged: Flourish in interdisciplinary teams while practicing leadership responsibility and accountability for decisions and effort.
- Personal Gratification: Enjoy the gratification of helping others in need.
- Prestige: Become a member of the distinguished healthcare industry.
The Mandl School Respiratory Therapy program trains students to determine the state of a patient’s cardiopulmonary health by running tests to identify such things as arterial blood gases, lung volume, and pulmonary infection, among others, as well as:
- Set up and monitor therapeutic gases (e.g., oxygen) and environmental control systems
- Initiate and support a breathing apparatus (mechanical ventilator)
- Insert and maintain an artificial airway
- Administer medications needed for respiratory care
- Provide cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Help patients and their families by providing consumer education
- Teach patients and families the proper use of equipment designed to aid Respiration or administer needed gases or medication
- Train patients in adaptive techniques or strengthening exercises
- Provide patients with orientation for procedures used to clear the respiratory system
- Collaborate with patients, physicians and other health-care team members to establish appropriate patient care plans
- Pursue lifelong professional and personal learning development
- Function within the ethical and legal Scope and Standards of Practice
The basic requirements for applicants to be admitted into this program is either receipt of a high school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D). Candidates for the Respiratory Therapy (RT) degree program must adhere to the following requirements: a minimum, overall composite individual score of 45 on the TEAS V entrance test in order to be admitted into the program, while Non-native speakers of English must earn a score of 20 in each section of the TOEFL IBT or 500 on the paper-based or 215 on the computer-based TOEFL tests order to enter the respiratory therapy program.
Transfer students must provide official transcripts that prove a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 from previous colleges attended, as well as achieve the minimum score described above on the HOBET V test. Lastly, each applicant will be required to provide documentation of a health screening and background check prior to enrollment into the Respiratory Therapy program.
A waiver for not meeting the above requirements may be approved at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Respiratory Therapy Department Chair for candidates, who may be suitable for the program, and will thus be judged on other factors in addition to qualitative information.
Many graduates of the Mandl Respiratory Therapy Associates Degree program will immediately assume positions in:
- Healthcare Facilities
- Private Physician Offices
Become a Mandl Respiratory Therapy Graduate Today!
Enjoy the daily rewards of working with physicians and helping patients
Click Here To Contact a Respiratory Therapy Degree Advisor
Gainful Employment for Respiratory Therapists